The eTextbooks created by this program are provided in two formats: ePub and PDF. More information about the differences between these two files is available in Reader Support, however we are recommending the PDF versions of our books for Android devices while we continue to test the platform’s ePub readers. Please reference the resources below for further directions and guidance.
Downloading an eTextbook
To download one of our eTextbooks on a Windows PC (either ePub or PDF), please follow these steps:
- Navigate to the PA-ADOPT Bookshelf using your web browser app (such as Chrome) on your android device (phone/tablet).
- Select the desired eTextbook cover image or title to open the book’s page.
- Below the cover image, book title, and author name, select either the ePub or PDF buttons.
- The book file (either ePub or PDF) will automatically download into the Files app on your device.
- A pop-up window will appear with suggested apps (see below instructions for further guidance on apps) – for now, select anywhere off of the pop-up to minimize it.
- See instructions on reading a PDF file below for further instructions.
Reading a PDF
If you are reading the PDF version of the eTextbook on an Android device, we recommend using Acrobat Reader, which is a free PDF reader from Adobe. Please follow these steps to download and install a PDF reader and begin reading the eTextbook:
- If you haven’t already, Download a PDF reader application by opening the Google Play Store app.
- Search for a PDF reader app such as “Adobe Acrobat Reader: Edit PDF”
- Select Install.
- Now, navigate to the Files app on your device.
- Select the desired PDF file saved in the Downloads folder.
- A pop-up window will appear, select the desired PDF reader application you downloaded (Adobe Acrobat Reader).
- The PDF file will now open in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- You can scroll up and down through the pages.
- You can also pinch in and out on the screen with two fingers to zoom in and zoom out.
- If you need to search for a specific word or phrase within the PDF, use the search box located in the top toolbar.
- You can also use the tools provided by Adobe Acrobat Reader to make notes, highlight text, or add bookmarks to the PDF file at the bottom of your screen.
- When you’re done reading the PDF file, simply close Adobe Acrobat Reader or go back to the file browser to select another file to read.