The eTextbooks created by this program are provided in two formats: ePub and PDF. More information about the differences between these two files is available in Reader Support. Please reference the resources below for further directions and guidance.
Downloading an eTextbook
To download one of our eTextbooks on a Windows PC (either ePub or PDF), please follow these steps:
- Navigate to the PA-ADOPT Bookshelf using your web browser (such as Chrome, Firefox, or Edge).
- Select the desired eTextbook cover image or title to open the book’s page.
- Below the cover image, book title, and author name, select either the ePub or PDF buttons.
- When you select the ePub file, it will auto-download to your Windows PC – typically the Downloads folder or Desktop (depending on your browser settings).
- When you select the PDF it will open in a new tab, select the download arrow in the top right corner to download the PDF onto your computer.
- See instructions on reading an ePub or PDF file below for further instructions.
Reading an ePub File
If you are reading the ePub version of the eTextbook on a Windows PC, we recommend using Thorium Reader, which is a free ePub reader from EDRLab. Please follow these steps to download Thorium Reader and begin reading the eTextbook:
- First, make sure that you have Thorium Reader installed on your Windows PC. If you don’t have it, you can download it from the Thorium Reader website.
- Next, locate the ePub file that you want to read. If the ePub file is on your Windows PC, simply navigate to the folder where it is saved.
- Once you have located the ePub file, double-click on it to open it in Thorium Reader. Alternatively, you can open Thorium Reader first and then click on File in the menu bar and select Open to locate the ePub file.
- To navigate through the ePub file, use the arrows on your keyboard or click on the arrows in the toolbar at the top of the screen. You can also use the table of contents on the left-hand side of the screen to jump to specific sections of the book.
- When you are finished reading the ePub file, simply close Thorium eReader by clicking on the X in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
Reading a PDF
If you are reading the PDF version of the eTextbook on a Windows PC, we recommend using Acrobat Reader, which is a free PDF reader from Adobe. Please follow these steps to download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader and begin reading the eTextbook:
- If you haven’t already, download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader from the Adobe website.
- Once the installation is complete, open Adobe Acrobat Reader from your Start menu or desktop shortcut.
- Click on the File menu and select Open.
- Navigate to the folder or directory where the PDF file is saved and select the file.
- Click the Open button.
- The PDF file will now open in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- You can use your mouse to scroll up and down through the pages, or use the scrollbar on the right side of the window.
- You can also use the zoom in and zoom out tools located in the toolbar at the top of the window to adjust the size of the text and images.
- If you need to search for a specific word or phrase within the PDF, use the search box located in the toolbar.
- You can also use the tools provided by Adobe Acrobat Reader to make notes, highlight text, or add bookmarks to the PDF file.
- When you’re done reading the PDF file, simply close Adobe Acrobat Reader or go back to the file browser to select another file to read.